My Cousin Vinny"
Tell it to the Fudge
Happy Holidays from us here at Dinner and a Movie! 'Tis the season to be jolly, as you enjoy Claud's "Tell it to the Fudge."
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4-teaspoon salt
- 1/2-cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups canned evaporated milk
- 1-cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Softened butter, as needed for foiled pan
1. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, overlapping the sides; butter the foil and set aside.
2. Place chopped, unsweetened chocolate in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the sugar, salt, corn syrup, evaporated milk, and cocoa in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir the mixture together over low heat until dissolved, about 5 minutes.
4. Increase heat to medium and slowly bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Boil without stirring for 10 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reaches 232-234F.
6. Remove from heat and cool 2 minutes before adding and stirring in the butter and vanilla with a wooden spoon.
7. Pour this hot mixture over the unsweetened chocolate and stir until smooth.
8. Continue stirring for 5-10 minutes until the fudge begins to lose its shininess.
9. Stir in the chopped nuts and scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth out the top; cover and refrigerate until firm.
10. Summon your guests and serve (or better yet, serve a summons to your guests).
Note: You can also make white chocolate-coconut fudge, substituting white chocolate for the unsweetened chocolate and grated coconut for the cocoa.
Makes about 3 pounds