House Bunny, The"
Delta Feta Pie
There are a bevy of beauties in this movie, but none can compare to Claud's savory "Delta Feta Pie."
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 pound frozen spinach, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 box frozen phylo dough
- Butter, melted, as needed
- Olive oil, as needed
1. Mix together the cheese, egg and nutmeg in a small mixing bowl. Squeeze excess water from the spinach. In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, scallions, parsley, dill, lemon juice and walnuts.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir sautéed onion into the spinach mixture.
3. Stir the cheese and egg mixture into the spinach mixture, check seasonings and set aside.
4. Unroll the phylo sheets on a clean surface and cover with a damp towel until use.
5. Lay one sheet of phylo on the counter in front of you vertically and then either brush with melted butter or spray evenly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phylo on top of the first sheet and either spray again with olive oil evenly or brush with melted butter. Place 1/4 cup of the filling evenly on the bottom of the sheet leaving 2 inches uncovered at the bottom and at both sides. Fold the sides over and onto the filling. You should now have a rectangle with the filling at the bottom. Fold one corner over the filling diagonally and then repeat this diagonal folding as if folding a flag. The result should be a neat triangle shape. Brush with a little more butter and place seam side down on a parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat until all the filing has been used.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven until golden brown.
Note: May be frozen prior to baking for later use, if desired.