Black Bow Ties
You won't have to crash a wedding to enjoy Claud's "Black Bow Ties," but you'll definitely want to R.S.V.P on June 10th to enjoy his decadent saffron-lobster sauce.
For the fresh pasta:
- 3-½ cups all-purpose flour (or Italian "00" flour if you can get it)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of squid ink
- Ice water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of minced shallots
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper and cayenne to taste
- 8 ounces cooked lobster claw meat
- Fresh chives
Make the Fresh Pasta:
Place flour and salt in food processor. Turn on machine and add the eggs in a slow, steady stream and then add the squid ink. Continue processing until dough just begins to form a rough ball. Add a touch of water only if the dough hasn't begun to come together and still looks dry. Stop processor and feel the dough, it should hold together well but not be sticky. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand another 5 minutes, until supple and smooth. Wrap with plastic and let rest at room temperature 30 minutes to an hour before rolling out.
1. Divide pasta dough into four equal parts, flatten by hand and then roll as thinly as possible either with a rolling pin (good luck) or more easily, through the second thinnest setting on a hand-cranked pasta machine - a standard hand-cranked pasta machine produces a sheet about 6" wide and 18" long. Dust the pasta sheets with a little fine corn meal or rice flour if they become too sticky to handle.
2. Cut pasta sheets into 1-inch wide strips using a knife or straight pastry cutter. Cut the 1-inch wide strips into 2-inch lengths using a fluted pastry cutter.
3. Working one piece at a time, first place an index finger in the center and then use your thumb and middle finger to pull the outside edges together. Next slip your index finger away and crimp the edges together so that they stick. Dab with a little water if needed.
4. Place on a floured surface and set aside to dry, 90 minutes to 2 hours. Repeat with the remaining pasta sheets.