Fun With Dick and Jane"
Stick 'Em Up! Side Down Cake
You'll be sure to round up a gang of good friends when you make Chef Claud's Stick 'Em Up! Side Down Cake!
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- About four cups of your favorite fruit: papaya, apricot, peach, pear, mango, cranberries, figs, assorted berries or any combination thereof.(If feeling adventurous, one might even try.....pineapple!)
For the Spongecake:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange rack in the center of the oven.
2. Prepare the topping: Melt the butter in a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the sugar and brown sugar and cook until dissolved, stirring constantly. Stir in the cinnamon and remove from heat.
4. Arrange the fruit artfully into the hot syrup in a single layer and set aside.
5. Prepare the spongecake: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl or on a piece of wax paper and set aside.
6. In the work bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the sugar, butter and lemon zest until fluffy.
7. Beat in the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time.
8. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk, beating after each addition until the better is well blended.
9. Scrape the batter over the fruit into the skillet and smooth out the top.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden and springy. The juices should be bubbling around the sides of the pan.
11. Allow the cake to cool 5 minutes before running a knife around the edges and inverting onto a serving platte. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.