Fools Rush In"
A Bun In The Oven
Don't rush in to making this dish! Take your time...there's enough food for everyone!
For the Buns:
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lard, softened butter or vegetable shortening
- 4 large eggs; beaten
For the Frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a small bowl, whisk together yeast, warm water and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside until the mixture begins to foam.
2. In a second large bowl, combine the remaining sugar, half of the flour, salt and lard. Blend mixture well. Blend in the beaten eggs a little at a time; mix thoroughly, and then mix in the yeast mixture. Add the remaining flour and continue mixing until well blended. The dough should be soft and sticky.
3. Divide the dough in half, and then divide each half into 6 equal pieces.
4. Shape each piece with buttered hands into a domed bun. Place buns 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and place in a warm spot until doubled in size, about an hour.
5. While the dough rises, make the frosting: In the work bowl of a food processor, combine shortening, butter, vanilla, flour and powdered sugar. Process until smooth and then remove half of the mixture from processor. Add the lemon rind and juice to remaining mixture and process just until blended. Form mixture into a log, wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate. Return remaining mixture to processor and add the cocoa and cinnamon. Blend and form into a log, wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate.
6. Once the buns have risen, cut off a walnut-sized piece of topping from one of the refrigerated logs and flatten between your palms to create a circle large enough to fully cover bun.
7. Place a disk of flattened topping over each bun and cut a swirly design into the topping with a sharp paring knife.
8. Bake in a preheated 375F. oven about 15 minutes or until the sides are lightly golden.
Makes One Dozen