Eggplant, zucchini, onions and tomatoes add the the veggie goodness of this flavorful dish.
You will need:
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if needed
- 5 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried lavender
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped, fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 Japanese or Thai eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices
- 3 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices
- 1 thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 pound firm, ripe, red or yellow tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 small handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1. Make the marinade: In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, cinnamon, lavender, thyme, red pepper flakes, black pepper and sea salt.
2. Place the eggplant and zucchini in separate mixing bowls and toss with enough marinade to coat.
3. Peel the tomatoes: using a sharp paring knife, make a small X on the bottom of each tomato. Plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds, and then drop into ice water until cool enough to handle. Using the paring knife, loosen and peel away skin and slice in half lengthwise.
4. Gently squeeze seeds, juice and pulp through a strainer into a bowl and reserve for later. Slice tomato halves lengthwise and combine with the sliced onion in another bowl; toss with marinade.
5. Preheat oven to 425F.
6. Transfer marinated vegetables to separated baking sheets and roast until brown around the edges, about 35 minutes.
7. Transfer hot mixture to a mixing bowl and toss with basil, parsley and any remaining marinade and/or reserved tomato juice. Garnish with crumbled goat cheese.
8. Eat with warm, crusty French bread.