Thai Noodles with Airplane Nuts
Looking for a slightly spicy dish for your Friday night feast? Well, these succulent noodles might be just the thing!
You will need:
- 1/4 c peanut oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tbl sugar
- 3 tbl soy sauce
- 1/2 Bermuda onion, sliced
- l tbl catsup
- 2 tbl dry sherry
- 1 lb spaghetti cooked & drained
- 3 tbl fish sauce (or anchovy paste)
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbl pickled (or fresh) ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 c peanuts, (or six bags) coarsly chopped
- 1 tbl serrano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 bunch scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 c mung bean sprouts
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 bunch mint leaves, chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 air sickness bag (for leftovers)
1. Hound flight attendant for extra peanuts on your next trip.
2. Slice chicken into 1" strips, place in a bowl and add 1 tbl of soy and the sherry.
3. Prepare and assemble ingredients: crush peanuts, beat egg, slice bell pepper, onion, ginger, mint leaves and scallions. Chop garlic and serrano peppers. Set these and all other ingredients out, avoiding the center aisle and lavatory. (Reminder: After cutting chile, do not touch eyes, ears or mouth of self and others, especially if you are the pilot.)
4. Add oil to wok, when it begins to smoke, drain marinade from the chicken and toss into center of wok and remember, everyone is counting on you.
5. Run cold water on any blistered areas of face or hands from oil splatters in step 3.
6. Begin adding remaining ingredients in above order, stir or toss after each addition, and remember, everyone is counting on you.
7. Transfer to platter, squeeze lime over and garnish with more peanuts, chile flakes and scallions.
8. At this point your guests will be smelling something wonderful coming from the kitchen and wondering what it is. (It's a large room with pots and pans and a stove, but that's not important right now.) What's really important is delivering this delicious meal safely to your guests.