Award Winning Clams Casino
The following recipe was featured during the presentation of Rainman during TBS's Dinner & a Movie.
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 1/4 cup onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, very finely diced
- 8 oz. butter, softened
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. vermouth
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 Cherrystone, Topneck, or Pismo clams
- 1 copy "TV Guide" (You never know when Wopner might move to a different time slot)
1. Scrub clams with a vegetable brush and soak in salt water (1/3 cup salt to 1 gallon water) for one hour.
2. Dice one half of the bacon and cook until crispy. Drain all but one tablespoon of the fat from the skillet, then add the onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno; sauté until tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, mix the butter until smooth and creamy.
4. Add the cooled bacon mixture, parsley, lemon juice, vermouth, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are evenly combined.
5. Lay out a 16" sheet of foil on a flat working surface, transfer the butter mixture onto the foil and roll tightly into a cylinder. Refrigerate.
6. Arrange the remaining bacon on a cutting board. Using a cookie cutter or paring knife, cut out little poker chips and award statuettes.
7. In a small saucepan, blanch the bacon cutouts in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
8. Preheat broiler. Open the clams and loosen the meat from the shells. Top each clam with a slice of the butter mixture and place on a baking pan.
9. Top each clam with a piece of blanched bacon and broil until the bacon just begins to get crisp. Don't overcook, or the clams will get tough.
10. Easy pop quiz: Divide the total number of clams by the number of letters in "Wopner", multiply by the number of ounces of butter used in this recipe. What is the square root of the remainder?