An Almost Perfect Papa
This may be one of the best recipes we've featured this year, as long as you're not doing a no-carb diet. If you are, you may want to avoid this potato dish.
- 4 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes--at least 10 ounces each
(Potatoes should be firm and free of splits or green spots)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for rubbing potatoes
- 1/2 cup kosher salt, combined with 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (dill, oregano, sage and thyme)
- 1 4-pound box of Rock salt (enough to cover your cookie sheet)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups shredded white cheddar or jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chives or green onions, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 ounce sturgeon caviar and/or salmon roe
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Scrub potatoes well under cold running water.
2. Dry potatoes and coat lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with herbed salt and place potatoes on a cookie sheet covered in rock salt on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then puncture the tops in a few spots and continue baking another 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a skewer.
3. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice the top quarter off each. Carefully scoop out the flesh into a bowl and place the empty shells back on the cookie sheet. Bake 5-10 more minutes until crisp.
4. Combine the potato with the sour cream, grated cheese, chives and butter, and mash together well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mound the potato filling back in the shells; return to the oven and broil on high 5-10 minutes, until heated through and pleasantly brown.
5. While almost perfect as they are, garnish with additional sour cream, bacon bits, chives and/or caviar, if desired. For a delicious topping option, top with Rapid Ratatouille from our previous "Rat Race" Dinner and a Movie show. Devour with enjoyment perfection!