Yes, this dish has a million ingredients. And yes, it's a little complicated to make from scratch. But it's worth the work, we promise!
For the reincarne asada:
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2-tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2-teaspoons ground cumin seed
- 2-teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-cup plain yogurt
- 1 boneless, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lb. leg of spring lamb, trimmed and butterflied (ask your butcher)
For the salatet zabady bil azur (yogurt sauce):
- 2 cups whole, plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint or dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the wrap and the rest:
- Whole wheat pizza dough, rolled in to 10” rounds – recipe below (or large whole wheat tortillas, or pita bread)
- Quartered cherry tomatoes
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced cucumber
- Crumbled feta
- Chopped Napa cabbage
- Hot pepper sauce
Serves 4 people (or 1 person over 4 lifetimes)
1. Combine mint, garlic, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, clove, olive oil and yogurt in a small mixing bowl. Place the butterflied lamb leg in a large, shallow baking dish and cover evenly with the yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours. (Remember, to marinate briefly is better than never having marinated at all!)
2. In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, fresh herbs, salt and pepper; blend well and refrigerate.
3. Preheat a grill or grill-pan at medium heat for 10 minutes. Grill lamb approximately 10 minutes on each side, and then tent with foil and rest 10 minutes. While the lamb rests, grill whole wheat pizza rounds 2 to 3 minutes on each side. If using an instant read thermometer, internal temperature should read 145F inserted into the thickest part of the leg.
4. Slice the grilled lamb into thin slices against the grain and wrap in warm flatbread or tortillas with plenty of garnishes, yogurt sauce and hot sauce as needed.
Recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Add the flours, yeast, sugar and salt to the bowl of your food processor. Begin processing as the warm water and olive oil are slowly added. Continue processing until the ingredients become a dough consistency. Turn the dough out to a lightly floured surface. Knead a few minutes, shape into a ball shape, and place into a lightly oiled bowl to rest for twenty minutes. Shape the dough into 10 inch circles and grill on a hot grill for 2 minutes per side. This recipe is wonderful plain or with fillings.